Foundation 2.4 Training Report
FOUNDATION 2.4 (01/30 – 02/05) TRAINING REPORT
The focus of this week’s training was recovery from the previous three weeks of increasing endurance and leg strength workouts. Despite the reduced time and miles, my Chronic Threshold Level (CTL), a measure of fitness, increased from 44 to 45. This was accomplished with three interval workouts of 3 x 12 minutes, 3 x 5 minutes, and 3 x 10 minutes, plus a 2.5 hour endurance workout. Also successfully completed two workouts of two sets of 10 repetitions of 10 pounds on six leg strength machines at my local fitness center.
Additionally, coach recommended that I increase my protein intake from 1 gram/kilogram of body weight to 1.8 to 2.0 grams/kilogram to facilitate the growth of leg muscle required to power my trike competitively at 18-20 mph average. I started this daily increase as of Wednesday.
HIGHLIGHTS: Each week typically consists of three or four interval cycling sessions, two recovery/endurance cycling sessions, two or three yoga sessions, and two strength machine sessions. All cycling sessions were completed indoors with my recumbent trike on a kinetic trainer connected to power pedals and a Garmin Edge 530 bike computer.
- Tuesday’s Endurance Miles (3 x 12 minute intervals) workout was 10.11 miles in 0:57:07. Average speed was 10.6 mph; maximum speed was 13.4 mph. Average power was 83 watts; maximum power was 144 watts.
- Wednesday’s Steady State (3 x 5 minute intervals) workout was 8.67 miles in 0:49:03. Average speed was 10.6 mph; maximum speed was 13.5 mph. Average power was 78 watts; maximum power was 156 watts.
- Thursday’s Aerobic Tempo/Speed Interval workout was 6.70 miles in 0:42:02. Average speed was 9.56 mph; maximum speed was 14.2 mph. Average power was 64 watts; maximum power was 164 watts.
- Saturday’s Steady State (3 x 10 minute intervals) workout was 14.11 miles in 1:22:02. Average speed was 10.3 mph; maximum speed was 13.2 mph. Average power was 75 watts; maximum power was 137 watts.
- Sunday’s Endurance Miles-Negative Splits workout was 23.90 miles in 2:28:03. Average speed was 9.69 mph; maximum speed was 13.1 mph. Average power was 68 watts; maximum power was 146 watts.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Total Distance: 63.50 mi
- Longest Ride: 23.90 mi
- Total Time for Week: 7:33:13 (h:m:s)
- Avg Speed: 10.1 mph
- Max Speed: 14.2 mph
- Avg Power: 72 watts
- Max Power: 164 watts
- Calories: 2,397 C
- Avg Weight: 168.0