Preparation 2.2 Training Report
PREPARATION 2.2 (06/05 – 06/11) TRAINING REPORT
Registration for National Senior Games (NSG) events closed on May 2nd. When the list of registered cycling competitors was posted last week, I failed to notice that “recumbent cycling” was included in a separate category, separated by 5-year age-groups for 2-wheel and 3-wheel recumbents. I was surprised to discover that I am the sole competitor in my age-group 3-wheel recumbent category for both the 5 kilometer (km) and the 10 km time trials. Last year’s champion moved into the next older age-group. I won’t compete against him head-to-head in the same age-group until 2025. So, my goal this year is to still race as if he and I were racing each other. I want to send him the message that he has to beat me in 2025. (NSG is normally held every two years.)
Notwithstanding the fact that I only have to show and finish both races and I am national champion, my training continues to focus on intervals at race pace and anaerobic efforts. Next week, I will repeat the two virtual 5 km and 10 km time trial rehearsals I conducted on Saturday, May 27, and Sunday, May 28, with the goal of improving my time and average speed.
HIGHLIGHTS: All cycling sessions were completed indoors with my recumbent trike on a Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine smart trainer + Rouvy application.
- Tuesday’s Foundation (4 x 6 minutes) Intervals workouts was 13.65 miles in 1:00:01. Average speed was 13.6 mph; maximum speed was 15.6 mph. Average power was 62 watts; maximum power was 93 watts.
- Wednesday’s Steady State (3 x 8 minutes) Intervals workout was 18.65 miles in 1:15:03. Average speed was 14.9 mph; maximum speed was 18.0 mph. Average power was 78 watts; maximum power 127 watts.
- Thursday’s Endurance Miles workout was 15.82 miles in 1:11:40. Average speed was 13.2 mph; maximum speed was 13.7 mph. Average power was 57 watts; maximum power was 65 watts.
- Friday’s OverUnder (3 x 8 minutes) Intervals workout was 15.82 miles in 1:00:04. Average speed was 15.6 mph; maximum speed was 18.2 mph. Average power was 87 watts; maximum power was 134 watts.
- Saturday’s Foundation Miles 2 workout was 14.33 miles in 1:00:02. Average speed was 14.3 mph; maximum speed was 16.4 mph. Average power was 69 watts; maximum power was 106 watts.
- Sunday’s Time Trial (4 x 6 minutes) Interval workout was 14.02 miles in 1:00:19. Average speed was 13.9 mph; maximum speed was 18.1 mph. Average power was 65 watts; maximum power was 125 watts.
BY THE NUMBERS:
- Total Distance: 92.29 mi
- Longest Ride: 18.65 mi
- Total Time for Week: 6:27:45 (h:m:s)
- Avg Speed: 14.3 mph
- Max Speed: 18.2 mph
- Avg Power: 70 watts
- Max Power: 134 watts
- Calories: 1,549 C
- Avg Weight: 170.7